[etni] Doing the Bagrut in the 10th or 11th Grade

  • From: "Yarome Haber" <yhaber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:53:35 +0200

I am totally amazed at what some of you are saying.

Either you have extra hours in your school basket of hours or you have
certainly volunteered and a lot of time to these pupils in order that they
complete all the literature and external reading required for the 11th and
12th grades (not mentioning the projects that will also be required to do
shortly).

If you tell me that you allow these pupils to study the literature on their
own, then either they are budding geniuses or we are full-bloomed fools. We
spent endless hours learning literature (stories, poems articles, etc.) and
how to teach it at in-service training courses and somehow these pupi's are
able to analyze these pieces of literature on their own or with guided
questions or just don't have to do it and nobody will really know, and they
are ready to go on to the written bagrut with all this behind them. (I have
met only one pupil out of all the English speakers that have passed through
the halls of our school that was capable of doing such a feat.)

If this is so teachers, then truthfully, we are doing a disservice to our
pupils.
Anyone able to enlighten me?
Barry