[etni] Discrepancies between school mark and exam mark

  • From: James Backer <drjamesbacker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings all,

There should be no surprise about the discrepancies between the school marks
and the exam marks in the current Bagrut system.

It's as simple as the apples and oranges that famously can't be compared. The
school grade measures X in a certain way. The actual Bagrut exam measures Y in
a different way. Theoretically, the MOE had no right to suggest that they would
expect a similar grade. It is theoretically impossible to expect that.

What *is* strange is that we usually seem to get fairly close, despite the fact
that some strong, but lazy, students don't do projects or homework; and despite
the fact that some weaker kids work like crazy and we reward them justly for
their efforts. I have a sneaking suspicion that many teachers are "cooking the
books" - to some extent - when they finalize the school grades, knowing that
student X or Y will do better, or worse on the exam. I know I find myself
wondering how obvious discrepancies are going to effect my status, my staff's
status, and my school's status with the MOE.

At the very beginning of change over to the NBA, a number of teachers spoke out
about the obvious theoretical impossibility of comparing apples and oranges;
but we were ignored by the MOE. Oh well, one thing is for certain: This should
not surprise anyone.

semi-sane and affluent countries, I *have* written to some of these deluded
souls and told them to stay home. Most of us are stuck in teaching by age and
the stupidity of outdated idealism, but we can save others from the same fate.
Until our de-socialized society really understands the rules of supply and
demand, no one in their right mind should consider teaching. It would be
criminal not to tell people on the outside about the real conditions inside our
lunatic asylum. (You may be shocked and offended by this paragraph, but think
about it - really. I love teaching and I like most of my students, like most of
us, but there are limits to what employers can demand of us.)

During last year's strike, I had a bit of hope that the structural problems
would be addressed - at least in part, but the outcome of the strike dashed all
of my hopes for change. It makes me laugh to read: We should demand......

On that cheery note,

Jimmy