[etni] Death and Taxes II

  • From: Barry Silverberg <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 14:59:45 +0200

Dear ETNI @ free lists.

May they always remain free.

This morning I unleashed a sheetstorm ( where lots of virtual sheets of
paper blow around) when I pointed out that there are new American tax
regulations requiring all Americans liiving in Israel to file insanely
detailed tax returns by June 15 or face the penalties  of paying of large
fines, being barred from Macdonalds and having to hand in your accent to the
Embassy officials.

I was Barrage Obama'd by the response.  I hope all  the letters I got were
Cc'd to you ( excuse me another one just came in.)  as well as to me so that
most of what I write here is redundant is redundant.

First of all, quite a few Americans are blithely spiriting along teaching
HOTS, listening to folk music, totallly unaware of the tax tsunami about to
sweep them away.  "Dear Barry," goes the one I just opened. "I have no idea
what you're talking about."  About 40% of responses were similar.  They
haven't even heard about it yet.

But the other  60% agree with my wife ( whom I thought was stam making
trouble).  They spoke of retroactive penalties, self-contradicting
instructions, declaring your fingernail clippings, and Tax experts
drowning under a sudden flood of new, panicking clients.

So, those of you in category A had better hustle your sweet 106 forms to the
nearest AACI office and find out what's going on.

As for me, my 106 form has disappeared, my name is mud and I think I'll just
hide in the shelter til June 15 when it all blows over.

Barry S.