[etni] Blog around the Clog and Old Windows

  • From: Avraham Roos <avrahamroos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:29:43 +0200

Barry asked:
*Here's another thing you can help out with.  I want to put together a
collection of nostalgic yearning for the old Windows like 95, when you
couldn't do as much, but the program did what you told it to do.
Can you think of some operations that were easier under the old Windows? *

There is one thing I am definitely missing: *Auto-Summarize*.

WORD97 had a great auto-summarize tool. WORD2010 does NOT have it and
you *cannot
*add it.

Here an explanation on the tool for WORD97:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/autosummarize.mspx

If you have Word 7 and are thinking of uploading to 2010 think again!

BTW, If you do not have WORD97 you may want to try out some free online
autosummarize tool:

Great tool: http://smmry <http://smmry.com/>.com

Online text compactor:http://www.textcompactor.com/

Summarizer:http://www.tools4noobs.com/summarize/

Remember that no automated tool will ever be able to completely replace the
human touch. Always carefully check the summary to ensure the main points
have been contained, that all sentences are complete and grammatically
correct and that the whole is coherent.

I hope Microsoft will eventually return the auto-summarize tool. It is
something I dearly miss.

Avraham Roos
--
"When one teaches, two learn"
 Robert Heinlein (American science-fiction writer,1907-1988)