[etni] Re: ALERT! anti-semitism on a dictionary site

  • From: Eden Israeli <eden_israeli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:45:03 -0700 (PDT)

a small step forward

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Howard M. Love, Jr. <howardmlove@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: YourDictionary.com
To: marjef@xxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr. Green,
It came to our attention this morning that the first definition and an
associated idiom for the headword entry "Jew" was offensive.  I looked at the
entry with our editorial team immediately.  While the entry did note that the
reference was "vulgar and offensive", we have decided that explaining the bias
is not worth the risk of perpetuating it.  Thus, we decided to take the
definition and the associated idiom down from the site.  We will be notifying
the publisher of the dictionary, from whom we license our definitions.  Thanks
for bringing this to our attention and please accept our deep apologies.
Sincerely,
Howard Love
CEO
YourDictionary