[etni] Re: ALERT! anti-semitism on a dictionary site

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:36:01 +0200

From: laurie sapir lfs22@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: ALERT! anti-semitism on a dictionary site

Regarding anti-Semitism on mainstream internet sites, like the dictionary
example on today's etni digest:

A recent edition of The Jerusalem Report magazine featured an article on
this same topic. I believe it was the Simon Weisenthal Center that has a
department devoted to vigilantly monitoring this kind of phenomenon. They
constantly check the editing of public sites such as wikipedia.  (Anyone can
re-edit on these online sites, and someone with a hateful political agenda
has done just that on this dictionary site.)  I'm sure the Simon Weisenthal
Center would appreciate knowing about this (you can see on their site that
they have a section devoted to monitoring anti-Semitism on the internet). On
the positive side, they have had some success, though it's certainly a
Sisyphean undertaking.

Laurie Sapir