Re: support for encrypted volumes?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:50:02 +1000

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:31:17 +0300
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:41 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> >
> > Assuming you're still running xfce, what happens if you alias 'exo-mount'
> > for 'mount' ?
> >
> Hmm, not much. If I do this on teh commandline I get this
> liv@liv-laptop:~$ exo-mount /dev/sda9
> exo-mount: Must specify HAL device UDI or device file.

Hmm, perhaps
  exo-mount -d /dev/sda9

Thunar simply runs exo-mount to do its [un]mounting processes.

> When /dev/sda9 is not in fstab, it wouldn't help if I aliased
> 'exo-mount' for 'mount' in emel, anyway. The device wouldn't be in
> mountpoints.

A mount (or exo-mount) command will do what it can, it may or may not need a
pre-existing entry in fstab or whatever. No internal e2 data is involved.

> Other than displaying the correct partitions (NTFS and LUKS, even if
> both are not in /etc/fstab) , Gigolo pops up the correct
> password-input dialogue for the LUKS partition. Quick-checking the
> deps, Gigolo doesn't seem to depend on exo. I am not sure what's the
> magic, but I guess it comes from GIO/GVfs.

Sure.

I think that exo-mount currently operates via HAL (now deprecated), which in
turn probably uses policy-kit or something to manage authorities, including the
password dialog.

gvfs probably does something similar.