Re: support for encrypted volumes?

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:40:01 +1000

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:14:12 +0300
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does emel support encrypted volumes on a local encrypted device? I
> have a /dev/sda9 encrypted partition and it fails when I try to
> mount it from emel.
> >mount "/mnt/misc"  (2497)
> mount: special device /dev/mapper/misc does not exist
> >mount "/mnt/misc" (2497) returned '32'
>
> I have the following line in /etc/fstab:
> /dev/mapper/misc /mnt/misc ext2 defaults,users 0 0
>
> Would it be difficult to add support for this? Thank you

I know nothing at all about encrypted volumes, nor do I have one to use for
testing purposes.

However a mount command should behave generically. e2 does not itself actually
do anything. I do think it's worth exploring what might be happening to trigger
your reported error. Can you provide any further insights e.g.
 - effect of [un]mounting the device via your mountpoints menu
 - effect of commands mount "/mnt/misc" (as distinct from >mount "/mnt/misc")
and even >mount /mnt/misc (no quotes)
 - what happens when such commands are issued via a standard terminal
 - if you build for udisks/devkit-disks operation, is there any device-relevant
debug message(s)