[EMAS] WNC Lake Junaluska: Snowy & Great Egrets, BW Teal invasion - 10/4/14

  • From: Steve Ritt <stevenmritt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carolina Birds <carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx>, EMAS <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 21:29:08 -0400

The monthly Beaver Lake Bird Walk had a good turn-out, but started off slow
this morning until we noticed a raft of 120 Blue-winged Teal and 7 Pied-billed
Grebes on the lake. Our chilly efforts were eventually rewarded however by a
nice northbound 4th-cycle Bald Eagle flying over our heads.

After hearing that Simon Thompson had 250 Blue-winged Teal and one Northern
Shoveler at Lake Julian, and Wayne Forsythe had a large number of BWTE at the
Mills River WTP, I decided to check out Lake Junaluska. Wayne also had a
Spotted Sandpiper at the MR WTP.

Sure enough, L. Junaluska had:
Blue-winged Teal - 900
Pied-billed Grebe - 140
American Coot - 11
Double-crested Cormorant - same old one continues
...and then I noticed a few white blobs in a sycamore tree that turned out to
be:
Snowy Egret - 1
Great Egret - 6

The egrets all lifted up after sunset and headed south. Cool sight to see. I
don't think we've had a Snowy up here in the mountains since 2012.

Steve Ritt
Asheville, NC

Sent from my iPhone