[EMAS] Revision of Lake Julian report for 3/27

  • From: Ashley Peele <ashpeele25@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 14:57:52 -0400

Hi Folks,

We're going to defer to the locals and pull the Eared Grebes off the report
from Friday night.  My husband and I were pretty confident that we had at
least some Eareds out there, based on darker thinner necks, yellowish
plumes (rather than fuller horns) on head, etc., but sounds like this
would've been a real rarity.  Distortion off the water and distance may
have played tricks on us and we're still learning what species we need to
view with extra skepticism in this area. (We just moved here!)  Sibley's
one wintering patch for Eared's around the TN-NC-VA lines made us think it
was a possibility, but c'est la vie.

Regardless, fresh breeding plumages on some of the migrating waterfowl are
really pretty right now.  Folks with monster lenses should go out and get
snapping!

Happy Birding,
Ashley

--