[EMAS] Red-headed woodpeckers, Rutherford County 3/21/15

  • From: Chris Kelly <kellych74@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Audubon Society" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 21:19:20 -0400

While driving down Buffalo Shoals Road in Rutherford County to the
relatively new Buffalo Creek Park trail, Dan Bennett and I observed 3
red-headed woodpeckers.  One was in flight near a snag. The other two were
sunning prominently on snags along the side of the road.  Coordinates for
the general area are: 35.431663, -82.181454.  The hike itself was mid day,
so not very birdy. But we were treated to blue-headed vireos and several
flowers in bloom (bloodroot, toad shade trillium, and serviceberry).

Chris Kelly
Asheville, NC

Buffalo Creek Park, Rutherford, US-NC
Mar 21, 2015 12:00 PM - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.5 mile(s)
Comments: Hiked the loop trail in the park. Lots of living hemlock trees
but they do have adelgid.
8 species

Turkey Vulture  3
Downy Woodpecker  2