[EMAS] Red Crossbill Numbers Growing

  • From: Marilyn Westphal <mjwestph@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolinabirds <carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx>, "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Audubon Society" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 19:43:15 -0400

Mark and I had great days birding in the mountains yesterday and today.
Many of the spruce trees have oodles of cones and evidently word has gotten
out to the Crossbills. Yesterday we had 23 along the parkway near Balsam
Gap (mile 359.9) and another 6 on the Bald Knob Ridge Trail (mile 355).
Today we had a flock of 13 along the BRP just north of the Pisgah Inn, a
flock of 8 at Rough Butt Bald overlook (mile 425.4), a pair at Beartrap Gap
overlook (mile 428.5) and a flock of 11 at Roy Taylor overlook (mile
433.3). Several were cooperative enough to sit in the tops of the spruce
trees so we could get photos. Later in the afternoon we were looking for a
Least Flycatcher nest at the Pisgah campground and the Pisgah flock flew
over the campground a couple of times.

Also unexpected was a Yellow-rumped Warbler on Black Balsam Rd on the left
side of the road at the first pull-off. It was singing from the tops of
the spruce trees, so we managed to get photos of that bird as well. Also
along Black Balsam Rd were a couple of Alder Flycatchers and a Least
Flycatcher. More Least Flycatchers were at Doubletop and Licklog
overlooks.

Yesterday at Mt Mitchell State Park we also had a Least Flycatcher
downslope and on the other side of the road from the barracks and
maintenance area and an Alder Flycatcher downslope and on the other side of
the road from the restaurant. Both were also in good spots for photo-ops.

As a bonus, the Catawba rhododendron along the parkway is in full bloom now
and is absolutely gorgeous. Mountain laurel is also beginning to bloom
adding pink to the purple of the rhododendron. We found a Blue-headed
Vireo feeding chicks in a nest cradled in blooming mountain laurel. Lucky
little chicks, they really had a beautiful home. I'll put that photo on
Carolina Bird Club photogallery.
Marilyn
--
Marilyn Westphal