[EMAS] Beaver Lake Bird Walk Jun 6

  • From: Thomas Tribble <tntribble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 12:27:33 -0400

June has arrived and the warblers have moved on to their breeding grounds - up
north or on the parkway. Still 21 birders showed up for the regular first
Saturday walk at the Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary. The morning was cool and -
after the fog burned off - clear. My thanks to Cherry Pittillo and Kimberley
Childs for finding so many birds while I was running my mouth. The count in
the Sanctuary was 21 species but a small group of 5 birders continued the hunt
along the lake and added 11 additional species. In the Sanctuary, we had good
looks at Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a Red-bellied Woodpecker feeding a
juvenile. The Brown-headed Nuthatches that nested in the snag across from the
Huisking overlook must have successfully fledged their young as there was no
sign of them. Kimberley heard a Yellow-throated Warbler in the distance among
the pines across from the George Stowe overlook. After listening carefully,
most of the group had a chance to hear its beautiful song but unfortunately we
didn’t see it. Oddly, we did not see a Tree Swallow. The group that continued
along the lake were rewarded with brief views of an Orchard Oriole and an
Eastern Kingbird and we saw a Belted Kingfisher flying along the far shore.

The Full List (* indicates seen later along the lake)
Mallard
Turkey Vulture
Green Heron *
Red-shouldered Hawk