[EMAS] Outer Banks

  • From: alan lenk <adlenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 05:23:13 -0700

Folks,

Cam and I ventured to the NC Outer Banks area for a short 3-day birding trip
(9/30-10/2), and for a breath of ocean air,  to soak up some of the last warm
sun of the season, and, oh yes, for fresh seafood.  We birded  Pea Island NWR,
Cape Hatteras NS, Mattamuskeet  NWR, Alligator River NWR, Nags Head Woods
Preserve, and Elizabethan Gardens and Fort Raleigh on Roanoke Island.   I would
describe the bird density as less than expected overall, spotty.  It was too
early for the influx of the huge numbers of waterfowl at Mattamuskeet and Pea
Island preserves, and the Nature Conservancy's Nags Head Woods Preserve seemed
to be absent of any interesting birds.  Our best luck was with woodland birds
and warblers at Mattamuskeet NWR and at Cape Hatteras in the picnic area and
trails near the lighthouse, where the warbler activity was heavy.

Some of the more interesting birds seen were:

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret

Green Heron
White Ibis
Red Knot (check my ID from the photo please!)

Osprey
American Kestrel
Killdeer
Forester's Tern
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Parula Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
American Redstart
Mourning Warbler (check my ID from the photo please!)
Indigo Bunting
Rusty Blackbird

A few images are attach to provide a flavor of the experience.  Even though we
thought we should see more, it was a lot of fun to be down there.

Alan Lenk
Asheville