[EMAS] Mt Pisgah

  • From: Marilyn Westphal <mjwestph@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolinabirds <carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx>, "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Audubon Society" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 21:45:04 -0400

Part of the Blue Ridge Parkway finally reopened today south of
Asheville after a long winter, although only from Asheville to Graveyard
Fields, so Mark and I decided to check to see if the Woodcock were
displaying at the Pisgah Inn and sure enough they were.  We had 8 total, 1
at Pisgah Picnic area, one at the no-name overlook between the Pisgah Inn
and picnic area, at least 4 along the road at the Pisgah Inn and in the
campground, and 2 at Frying Pan Gap.  We also saw a couple of Ruffed Grouse
along road shortly before sunset, one near Pink Beds overlook and one near
Cradle of Forestry overlook.  Otherwise the evening Pisgah area parkway
birds consisted of a bunch of robins and a singing Brown Thrasher.
Nice evening!
Marilyn

--
Marilyn Westphal