[EMAS] Lake Junaluska 3-15-15

  • From: alan lenk <adlenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS Listserv <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alan Lenk <adlenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 06:52:47 -0700

Hi Folks,

Sunday afternoon I walked around Lake Junaluska in the
beautiful afternoon sun.  Initially
there seemed to be few birds present other than the regulars.  Luckily a couple
of Canvasbacks were
seen not too distant from the shore, then a Horned Grebe appeared (my first!)
and shortly
thereafter a Common Merganser.  Unfortunately the H. Grebe and C. Merganser
were located near the middle
of the Lake, making photos only marginally possible.  Other birds of interest
were the Pied-billed Grebe and
dozens of Rudy Ducks that have been there forever.  I couldn’t be sure but I
also believe a Red-breasted
Merganser was observed but it’s great distance made it difficult to positively
ID.

I will try to attach two small JPEG files of the Canvasback and H.Grebe.  I
hope it works and I don't "clog" up works.

Alan Lenk
Asheville