[EMAS] Lake Junluska

  • From: Connie Wulkowicz <oldsquaw1942@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Carolina Field Birders <CFBlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 16:27:56 -0800

The ducks are definitely on the move.  The last couple of days have had large
rafts of mixed ducks on Lake Junaluska along with our wintering ducks and
waterfowl.  There are a HUGE number of scaup and redheads coming through the
last few weeks.

Strangely we've had about 20 ring-billed gulls that stayed most of the winter
(have mostly left now) and hung out on the dock.  Gulls rarely stay on Lake J
for more than a few hours to rest.

Yesterday there were 5 or 6 tree swallows, 1 horned grebe, 7 red-breasted
mergansers.  Today a female Common Merganser was  covering the lake fishing and
trying to stay away from the fisherman in his boat.

More TV's have been passing through also.

P.S.  Bill, canvasbacks seem to like Lake Junaluska....about 1/2 the winters we
have some stay quite a while.  This year we had 7 who spent most of the winter
here and are looking might fine right now!!!!!!  Of course, they are all
"feeling their oats"!!!!!  So fun to watch all the drakes showing off.