[EMAS] Great birds in the Smokies - Oct 10, 2014

  • From: Simon Thompson <simonrbt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx" <carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:54:51 -0400

Now I know where all of the migrants have gone! I spent the day around
Sugarlands Visitor Center and Cades Cove- just over the line in Tennessee.
An hour and a half at Sugarlands was incredible with almost 50 species
being seen in that time. Highlights were many:

Merlin (1), Ring-billed Gull (5)
YB Sapsucker (3), Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)
White-eyed, Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos
Wood Thrush (5), Gray-cheeked Thrush (5)
Magnolia, Hooded, Bay-breasted Warblers
RB Grosbeak (20+), Scarlet Tanager (20+)

Cades Cove was a zoo with a long line of traffic slowly moving around the
loop, but birding was great once we escaped from the crowd.
Highlights were:
Northern Harrier (1)
Wood and Gray-cheeked Thrushes
Warblers: Ovenbird (1), BTBlue (1), BT Green (2), Palm (15) and Bay-breast-
at least 35! And yes, lots of Yellow-rumps starting to come through.......
Vesper Sparrow (1), Summer Tanager (1)

Simon

Simon RB Thompson
Ventures Birding Tours