[EMAS] Fwd: Vital Rates of North American Landbirds Website

  • From: Nancy Casey <nwcasey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS Listserv <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 21:46:51 -0400

From: David DeSante/ The Institute for Bird
Populations<'ddesante@xxxxxxxxxxx'>
Date: Jun 16, 2015, 7:18:33 PM
Subject: Vital Rates of North American Landbirds Website

To folks who have taken bird banding classes from IBP, thank you very much
for your interest in the MAPS program. Please be sure to show remote content.
Sincerely, Dave DeSante
Introducing the
Vital Rates of North American Landbirds
website
Results from the Monitoring Avian Productivity and Survivorship (MAPS) Program

Golden-crowned Kinglet. Photo: Nigel
The Institute for Bird Populations (IBP) is pleased to announce the release
of the Vital Rates of North American Landbirds website. This website,
http://www.vitalratesofnorthamericanlandbirds.org/, provides results of
temporal and spatial analyses of capture-mark-recapture and constant-effort
capture-rate data on 158 landbird species collected as part of the MAPS
program between 1992 and 2006. The objectives of these analyses are to
provide estimates for, and explore relationships among, the vital rates of
these species in order to provide hypotheses regarding the demographic
drivers of their population trends, especially as these results may inform
research, management, and conservation efforts for them.
Count-based monitoring of the relative abundance and trends of landbirds
(e.g., the Breeding Bird Survey) is invaluable for identifying conservation
targets and priorities. Assessing and monitoring demographic vital rates
(i.e., reproduction, recruitment, survival), in addition to abundance and
trend, can further enhance the effectiveness of avian habitat management and
landbird conservation because vital rate data can provide more direct
information on causes of trends. This will allow management to be directed at
the stage in the annual-cycle that actually limits the population, and to be
based on predictive models whereby critical vital rates can be modeled as
functions of environmental variables such as land use, habitat, and climate.

To the right we present a sample of results from the website. We show
temporal (by year) and spatial (by Bird Conservation Region [BCR]) estimates
for three important vital rates for Wood Thrush: population change (lambda),
adult apparent survival, and reproductive index. The mean lambda estimate
(0.967) indicated a significantly declining population; the mean adult
apparent survival rate (0.446) was extremely low and likely deficient for a
roughly 50 g landbird; and the mean reproductive index (0.240) was slightly
higher than the mean of the analogous indices for three other closely related
thrush species. These estimates suggest that low adult apparent survival,
rather than low productivity, may have been the primary demographic driver of
the Wood Thrush population decline.

Wood Thrush being banded. Photo: IBP staff
The relationships among these vital rates provided further support for this
suggestion. Note that both the temporal and spatial patterns in lambda much
more closely resemble the analogous patterns in adult apparent survival than
the patterns in productivity, as correlations among these vital rates
confirmed. This suggests that management and conservation efforts for Wood
Thrush should primarily be directed toward enhancing survival rates on the
non-breeding grounds, and only secondarily toward enhancing productivity on
the breeding grounds. We discuss these ideas more fully in the species
account narrative that accompanies the Wood Thrush results on the website.

Black-headed Grosbeak being released.
Photo: Chris Hubach
We invite you to explore the website and see in visual form (graphs, maps,
tables, scatterplots, and correlation matrices) the results that MAPS has
revealed about the vital rates of 158 landbird species. In addition, as of
June 2015, we present species account narratives for 60 species: 9 thrushes,
5 mimids, 1 waxwing, 33 wood warblers, and 12 cardinalids. We will add
species account narratives for the remaining 98 species during the subsequent
8-10 months.
To gain some idea of the breadth and depth of the data used to estimate the
vital rates for the 158 species presented on this website, note that these
1992-2006 results derived from the capture and banding of 403,711 individual
adult birds; the between-year recapture of 66,171 of those adult individuals;
and the capture and banding of 212,237 young (hatching year) birds at a total
of 628 MAPS stations located in 31 BCRs across the U.S. and southern Canada.
We thank the hundreds of MAPS operators that contributed data to this program.

For additional questions regarding MAPS, please contact
Steve Albert, Assistant Director for MAPS and MoSI.
For additional information about The Institute for
Bird Populations, please visit www.birdpop.org

Forward this email

This email was sent to nancywcasey@xxxxxxxxx by ddesante@xxxxxxxxxxx |
Update Profile/Email Address | Rapid removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy
Policy.

The Institute for Bird Populations | PO Box 1346 | Point Reyes Station | CA |
94956