[EMAS] Blue Ridge Parkway Critters - Bird and Otherwise

  • From: Marilyn Westphal <mjwestph@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Audubon Society" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 17:16:06 -0400

Still finding Crossbills around, more in the Black Mountains than the
Balsams, but still in both areas. Had a couple at Rough Butt Bald overlook
this morning - BRP mile 425.4 and recorded them. There was also a
chickadee there that appeared more Black-capped and was singing the
Black-capped song. We photographed and recorded that bird. Also had
another grouse family, this time at mile 434 - a hen and at least 3 chicks
that were feathered and able to fly a short distance.

On the parkway north of Asheville we photographed a very cooperative Barred
Owl sitting on a stump at the edge of an overlook, mile 352.4, at about
8:30pm.

In the non-bird category we photographed one of your stray Asheville
collared bears roaming the parkway last week. I understand there are over
40 of these bears that have been collared that regularly visit Asheville to
chow down. Evidently they are doing very well there because the youngsters
are growing much faster and larger than the people collaring them
anticipated. The bears thank you Ashevilleians. They eat well and are safe
from hunters there.

We also saw a rattlesnake crossing the road about 100 yards south of
Pounding Mill overlook around noon today. That's around mile 413.3. Quite
a fat fellow, but not terribly long - maybe 3 to 3.5 feet, grayish and
heavily patterned.
Marilyn

--
Marilyn Westphal