[EMAS] Ducks in WNC, Buncombe and Henderson County, NC

  • From: James Poling <james.poling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Elisha Mitchell Audubon Society <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:45:40 -0500

Yesterday was a great Duck Day in WNC. Highlight, of course, was the Red-necked
Grebes at Beaver Lake, a life bird for me. Also exciting were the Common
Merganser and Long-tailed Duck at Beaver Lake, and the Common Goldeneye and
Red-breasted Merganser at Lake Julian, unusual sightings for the NC mountains.
The most variety was at Osceola Lake in Hendersonville where I saw Gadwall,
American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler (in breeding plumage), and Ruddy Duck, birds
that I have not yet seen at Lake Tomahawk or Owen Lake. Some say it is all
because of the brutal cold and show of the upper midwest and Great Lakes area.
Too bad we benefit from the suffering of our friends and family up north.
Yesterday was one of those memorable days that makes birding exciting. Jim
Poling

Lake Julian
Greater Scaup
Common Goldeneye