[EMAS] Buncombe Co. spring bird count

  • From: "Gail Lankford" <whocooksforyou@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelist emas" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 12:48:42 -0400

In a week the Blue-headed Vireos will be arriving! In April the warblers,
grosbeaks, tanagers, thrushes, hummingbirds and other migrants will arrive to
nest  here in our county. In May, EMAS  is responsible for 3 local spring
counts, which is a great way to get out and see these neotropical jewels.

The Buncombe county count is in danger of not happening, as we don’t have an
organizer and participant numbers were so low last year some of us had to do
more than one area. Therefore this early email!

Please email to let me know if you are able and willing to participate this
year. The dates will be flexible, so you can do it either May 9, 10, or 11 –
your choice. You can have an area you have done before, or a new area if
requested. If you are a fairly new birder, you will be placed with a more
experienced birder.  We only need 2 – 4  folks per area, and there are 12 areas
in the count circle I believe.  So that is a minimum of 24 birders.

If we are not able to have enough volunteers, this may be the first in many
years that it is not done. So please help out if you can.

This is the initial announcement; I will send it out again in April.

Thank you.
Gail Lankford
EMAS, Vice President
whocooksforyou@xxxxxxxxxxxxx