[EMAS] Back at Roy Taylor Overlook 6-13-15

  • From: alan lenk <adlenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS Listserv <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 22:57:06 +0000 (UTC)

I was back on the BRP Saturday mid-morning at this overlook (MM 433) in hopes
of seeing more Crossbills.  This was not to be, though a couple of friends
stopped by and said that had great views of Crossbills feeding 5 miles north at
the Bear Pin Overlook.  We drove there but no luck either.  However, there were
a few birds at the Roy Taylor overlook that made the stop worthwhile.  Both
Chestnut-sided and Blackburnian warblers were perching nicely though rather
distant.  A Red-tailed Hawk cruised by the tops of the Spruce trees.  Was he
looking for Crossbills or other birds?  One of the highlights of the visit was
the close proximity of the lovely Cedar Waxwings.  A few were landing below the
road a short distance down the bank hanging out in the Blackberry briars.
Here's some photos of what we saw.  Sorry for the late report.

Alan LenkAsheville