[EMAS] BLBS shorebirds, BRP - 5/18/12

  • From: Steve Ritt <stevenmritt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:55:37 -0700

I stopped by BLBS around 3:30 PM yesterday and was only able to see distant
views of one Semipalmated, one Least, about six Spotted Sandpipers, and two
Killdeer.  Not being satisfied with my views, I stopped back by at 7:30 PM
and was able to get better views of four Semipalmated, one Least, one
Solitary, about six Spotted Sandpipers, and the Killdeer.  Some of the
birds appeared and disappeared while I was scanning, so a bit of patience
may be in order to see them.

Lou Weber, Janie Owens, and I took a quick jaunt north from Asheville on
the Blue Ridge Parkway from 4:30 - 6:30 PM yesterday and had a few nice
resident birds.  The only migrant was one getting-late female Cape May
Warbler.

I went up to Mt. Mitchell this past Wednesday, and had a similar dearth of
migrants.  One Blackpoll and five "western" Palm Warblers at the Craggy
Gardens Picnic Area were the only migrants to speak of all day.  It seems
as though migrants are somehow in short supply over the past few weeks
throughout the state (given reports) and elsewhere (for whatever mysterious
reason).  Northern Ohio was unusually slow during the "Biggest Week" event
last week, although diversity was well-rounded.  On the Parkway, near Mt.
Mitchell, I had one singing Hermit Thrush, but Marilyn Westphal and Mark
Simpson had four Hermits in a restricted-access area.  One Eastern Bluebird
and one House Wren near the top were of minor interest.

Steve Ritt
San Diego, CA / Asheville, NC