[elky] Re: Vintage Drum rehab

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:17:19 -0700

i"m not sure I didn't already answer this, but I"ll try again. Computer and I are not getting along.

Perhaps you could veneer over the black?  or would that screw up the tone?

for depth use clear coats between the layers of paint or stain.

Can you still buy spray can stains? that would give you some flexibility in shading the stain. there are colors of stain (minwax).

drums are the most primitive of instruments - a skin stretched over a skeleton. sound familiar?

best bet for me would be to paint it a mahogany color, then try and shade it with stains.

Mary

Nate took me to the Guitar Center, and I was playing on some different drum sets the other day. When I was on a walk, I go to thinking about this hot rod Snare drum I have. Back in the '80's, I got a 10" deep marching snare from a friend for $10. I chopped it 2" to 8" (the popular depth at the time). I sprayed it with some off the shelf Krylon, and it looked like hell. It is a "WFL" (William F. Ludwig, before they started using just the Ludwig name in the 50's). It looks pretty rough now, but Nate suggested flat black. I want something that will kind of go with the set, so I came up with a sunburst, satin finish, black on the outside with the rough adhesive primer stained wood in the center, with a little added color to try and get closer to the mahogany of the rest of the set.