[elky] Re: Ugly weather

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:49:53 -0600

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>               I can but I have to notch all the floor joists for the hanger
>> since the joists sit on the sill plate. If I don't notch it the joists would
>> stick up a little higher than the rim joist. And I can't block between at
>> the rim joist because the hanger is in the way. the floor joist has about 4"
>> of sill plate at each end to hold it up.
>>

> well, that makes sense.  It would be a whole lot more work to use them and
> probably not add anything.

                Yeah they won't really add anything but cost. There is more
support from the sill plate than a hanger only application. There isn't
anywhere I will need a joist hanger with one possible exception... They did
a no no on the end of one beam and I may put a hanger there or pour in place
another pier.

>                I'm going to stack the washer and dryer as it takes up allot
>> less room and allows me to put a small room for a toilet. The whole laundry
>> room will be tiled and I am putting in floor drains as well. So if something
>> pukes water it has somewhere to go.
>>

> sounds like a plan.
>

>>            The old as in really old subfloor is 1x4 tongue and groove and
>> measures right at 7/8 Over that is another layer of 3/4 in most places..
>> Today most builders put the floor joists on 24" centers using  wood I beams
>> and a layer of 3/4 OSB or ply the better builders will use 2 layers of 3/4
>> and sometimes 16" spacing.
>>

> I do not think houses today are very well built.  I don't think they
> consider that someone is going to come along and rip up the cheap flooring
> and install tile or hardwood.

                Well most are built with wood I beams and nail plate trusses
etc and that's all nice and strong and requires less material but in the
long run it isn't as good. Firefighters hate those building materials
because they kill firefighters. They fall apart very quickly in a fire where
standard stick construction lasts much longer because there is allot more
and heavier material to burn through.
            The exception to that is LVLs those are extremely dense and
strong no matter what.

              And these energy efficient homes that they charge allot more
for are actually in many cases cheaper to build... They use california
corners which means they don't use a traditional corner or T stud. They do
this to get more insulation in the corners. This is fine with 2X6s because
the size makes up for the loss of support but in 2x4 it's marginal at the
start and as the house ages wood rots bugs eat it these new houses will have
many more structural problems allot earlier on than traditionally built
houses.

         I really like the new materials like wood I beams but some
forethought needs to be used when using these materials and ignore what the
architect tells you cause he is telling you the bare minimum and they
typically don't know much about actual construction other than how to draw a
pretty house. Engineers and draftsmen often fall in to the same category
these days.

        Oh and many houses now using those engineered I beams are on 24"
centers instead of 16. They can get away with it because the OSB used for
decking is much stiffer than plywood. The OSB is now even made with a water
resistant glue similar to super glue so it can be rained on occasionally for
a few weeks during construction.

> I love marble doorsteps.  So much nicer than the aluminum ones.  excellent
> choice.  And I will give you my secret for tile patterns - quilt block
> patterns.

            The marble was the perfect choice for going from the laundry
room to the kitchen because technically they are both part of the house but
I want a sealed exterior door there. So I can open the door to the garage
and the back door and wind will blow through. Oh also she wants a window in
the laundry room as well so... That means cutting a hole in the brick wall.
I originally asked her if she wanted one and she said no but now wants a
window instead of a skylight there.

> I hate dog doors, kinda like cutting a thief door.  I prefer 200 lbs of dog
> trying to break down the door from inside when a bad person is standing on
> the outside.

                  Yup and it's a pretty big hole. Course it's easy to break
the glass and get in too. I put one other in that was all metal and had a
metal cover you could put on and was pretty strong.

> how's that weather doing?
>
> Mary

                Compared to everyone else it's pretty nice here. 42 right
now with a high of 49.

                     Oh and after last month and getting the gas bill... We
will definitely be going with a heat pump this summer. We used 3mcf of gas
which worked out to a bill of about $37. And the heater wasn't running that
much. I can heat with a heat pump for quite a bit less in cost or even
propane..
         The only way I would keep the gas is if the cars ran off natural
gas. Would love it if the elky was bi fuel...  Running the cars off propane
isn't too bad but the swap to nat gas is quite a bit more expensive and very
short range.