[elky] Re: The new El Camino, (Shrimp on the Barbie style)

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:30:35 -0700

Don't get me started....I just checked what's available in Saudi Arabia (the site only worked in internet explorer):

http://qa-en.chevroletarabia.com/vehicles/view_all_vehicles/cars.html

There are 10 separate and distinct models available. Compare that to the US with 6, or 7 if you count the PT Cruizer HHR, I mean.

There are 8 different models of cars (I didn't count trucks) available in the Holden lineup. Then there's Europe. Very quickly, I counted 8 models available in Germany, 4 in France (no comment) and 7 in Spain (not counting HHR which isn't available there.)

I find it absolutely inconceivable that Chevrolet offers 8 different models in Germany when they compete head to head with Opel, which GM owns (I think they still own it.) But 10 different models in Soudi Arabia? C'mon! It flies in the face of corporate economics...unless they view the US a captive market, in which case it's no surprise that they went thru bankruptcy.

Yanno, ya gotta be a little nuts to maintain yer sanity in this crazy world. (Quoted from "Pogo.")

Sent from my Dreadnought using that gawdawful Thunderbird email program

On 3/2/2010 9:25 AM, John Christensen wrote:
Remind me again why a guy can't just import one of these? Are they right hand drive? Is the emission system not up to US standard? This vehicle seems like a no brainer to me. They are already making it for goodness sake.

JC

133d0d2310
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
Saint Charles, IL
133d0d2310

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    How about the Aussie Holden Ute?
    http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Ute/SS-V-Series

    This is the top of the line with a 6 liter (364 cid), 362hp
    pushrod V8.  It can be ordered with a 6-speed manual trans
    (presumably a T-56) or a 6-speed auto with Active Select
    (sequential shifter, also known as Tiptronic...I remember that
    from VWs back in the late 60s)...and a gorgeous orange color
    called Wildfire Metallic.  (sigh.)

    The "lower level" Utes get a DOHC V6 with the same transmissions.
    http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Ute/SV6

    Then there's the Omega model (DOHC V6 with 4-speed auto) that can
    be ordered as a "Dual-Fuel" package that runs "petrol" or LPG.
    http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Ute/Omega-LPG

    Why don't we get stuff like that here?  (bitch, moan, whine.)

    Sent from my Dreadnought using that gawdawful Thunderbird email program

    On 2/28/2010 7:01 PM, CTSVMONGO wrote:

    Thought you might like to see this… not sure if you have seen one
    of these but they were everywhere in mexico, I am pretty sure
    (cant remember what makers for sure ) nissan and Renault had
    similar (nearly identical) versions of this.

    Ford had 4 door rangers

    Chevy had several very small cars there-

http://www.chevrolet.com.mx/content_data/LAAM/MX/es/GMMGM/showroom/chevrolet/modelos/tornado/colores.html

    Not the GTO version for sure, its more of the size of an Aveo