[elky] Re: OT: Android phones

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:09:08 -0600

The youtube vid had some good info. I also signed up on the Android forum. There I found out that there's a simple way to tether the Cliq as a 3G or cell modem for the laptop. It's a $30 one time proxy server that connects the two devices and seems pretty slick.

There's a whole lotta stuff in the Cliq that I'd probably never use, starting with the camera. But stuff like Twitter and MySpace, etc...well, I have a FaceBook account and that plenty of social networking for me.

A couple of things I'd like to try before I shell out any cash for it: 1) loading photos/slideshows and 2) loading music...or ring tones. That's one of the things I hate about the Samsung. I can load tons of mp3 or midis for ring tones, but they only play at half volume compared to the "factory" tones. That was one of the things that completely turned me off to that product. Another was the fact that it was sold as being 100 percent Bluetooth compatible. Sure. If the only thing you want to do is use a Bluetooth earpiece. After a day or so of trying to connect it to my primary workstation with a Bluetooth hub, I found out that 100 percent compatible is only 100 percent earpieces. POS. Then there's the battery thing, the fact that it works very poorly with the Bluetooth earpieces...cuts in and out...frikkin useless.

Back on earth, I think this thing may work out. I checked Amazon and they have it on sale for 1 cent. With a 2 year contract. I'm wondering if I can work that out to convert my contract with T-mobile to theirs: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-CLIQ-Android-Titanium-T-Mobile/dp/B002TX754K/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t I Spose it's worth a try.

I'm toast. I gotta get some sleep. I gotta get up early and I didn't get all the photo editing done...although I got over half of what was left taken care of.

I'm outta here.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that gawdawful Thunderbird email program

On 3/17/2010 7:36 PM, Chris Lindh wrote:
Interestingly I love my Samsung Rugby... it is definitely not the most technologically advanced phone, but it's rugged (the kids can't break it), has turn-by-turn GPS and I can check my Gmail on it. The best part is calls are clear and reception is good here.

That said, with no keyboard and tiny text I will have to replace it... I need the ability to send emails and check on my business. My friends reviews of the iPhone have been poor, so I've looked at Blackberry. I would be interested to see how you like an Android phone... I would imagine an Android phone would do Gmail well.

Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUr6pjWqJBc

Also, http://www.howardforums.com/ is a good place to research phones.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I gotta get rid of my Samsung POS flip phone.  It eats batteries
    and it...well, it's not a good phone at all.  No, it's an awful phone.

    I've been thinking about getting a phone that I can use to show
    samples of my photos, screen savers, slide shows, etc.  I don't
    wanna buy an iPhone and I won't buy another Samsung no matter
    what.  So today I stopped at the T-mobile store and looked at some
    Android-based phones.  It looks like I might be able to use one of
    those units.  Actually, I'm looking at a Motorola Cliq:
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/319850/review/cliq.html

    I don't care about the camera and I know I'll have to pay for a
    full-time web connection ($25/month) and I'll be locked into a 2
    year contract with T-mobile (I already am, so who cares?)

    I think it can also be used as a cellular modem for my laptop when
    I'm at the track or on the salt flats.  That would let me get rid
    of that real inconsistent cell modem I used last year.  I had to
    reboot about every 2 hours with it.

One nice thing about it is the qwerty keyboard, not only a touchscreen, although it has that, too.

    So.  If ya got any feedback on that, I'd like to hear it.

-- Sent from my Dreadnought using that gawdawful Thunderbird email program