[elky] Re: Laptops

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:25:30 -0500

Mine has a fan in it. If you were doing intese stuff, the fan may speed up,
but for the most part, mine is very quiet.

Because I have it on a board, the vents are always open. If you put it on
your lap, you close the opening to the fan, on the bottom, and it will heat
up. Just having the board helps circulate the air.

There are things to cool it down with fans that run on the USB connector. I
met a guy in the store that was talking about bidding on a real expensive
Gibson guitar on eBay, but didn't get it. When I asked him what he did to
support his collecting habit, he told me that he invented the lapinator.
See: http://www.lapinator.com/index.php I don't think it has fans, just
insulation and a board.

There are lots of things out there like it. I just glued vinyl down to a
piece of 3/8" plywood I had in the garage, stretched it and stapled it on
the bottom. Then I put felt on the bottom, to protect the tables from
scratches from the staples. Works fine and gives me a place off to the side
that I can use the mouse on.

I'll attach a picture of this message using it. Mine never really heats up
because I use the board. Any computer needs to be blown out with compressed
air once in a while, or use a shop vac inside a tower. This should be done
every 3 to 6 months, just to help with the heat. My house is protected by
killer dust bunnies..... so I clean the computers often.