[elky] Re: House was Swapmeet....

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:50:19 -0500

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> oh, on the attachments.  Yippee on the move but don't hold your breath on
> the deposit.  Yeah, unfortunately that's pretty much the only way to get rid
> of those sleeper things.  break 'em up and have a bonfire.

               Yeah I hate the things. Better to get a regular couch and a
good air matress if you need it as it's more comfortable than the couch bed.

> I'd go ahead and fix the plumbing problems and upgrade the faucets, etc.,
> but skip the replumb.  Unfortunately, people buy what they can see, not what
> they can't so unless its absolutely necessary for health or resale purposes,
> I'd live with it.  We live with Cheap Peter's too small water lines.  As we
> have to replace them, we put bigger ones in.  what a numnuts.

            Well repairing all the drips etc. I had a better kitchen faucet
and will finish putting it in today. Had to get a pair of nuts to hold it in
as I couldn't find any in my plumbing boxes.
        Picked up two nice brand new Moen bathroom faucets at the Habitat
store for $15 each. Gotta get new shutoff valves before I put them in.

          As for the galvanized pipe... The puffs of rust every so often are
annoying but common for this age house. Won't be changing a whole lot for a
while because the two bathrooms are going to be remodeled and moved so no
sence in running new lines for some places. About the only thing that will
stay put is the kitchen sink. All other plumbing will be moved. The first
will be the laundry room...

                Todays plumbing is going to be to replace the tub drain.
Picked up one last night and hopefully have enough stuff to couple it to the
original brass drain pipe without another trip but I doubt it.

> I like trusses too for strength, but not working around them.

          Well with trusses there isn't anything to work around as no
interior wall is load bearing. Only hard part is in the attic.

>  Can you rehab the front door?  There's all kinds of fussy things you can
> buy for it and paint is cheap.  We put a magnetic brass kickplate on it and
> Rufus (the cat) thought that cat on it was the most beautiful cat he'd ever
> seen.  Talk about cheap and easy - remove the plastic and stick it on. A
> nice handle, a brass knocker and a can of paint did wonders.  You just have
> to put up with the cat sitting there meowing at the other cat a lot.

              It's an old crap wood door. Most likely original to the house.
Gotta be replaced with a metal door.

> We got the stumps out this morning (yay!!!).  Took from 50 some degrees to
> 80 some degrees, though.  yuck.
>
> anyway, best wishes for a happy home.
>
> Mary

                  80 sounds nice....