[elky] Re: Cooling Fan

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:19:16 -0500

The Pros of the electric cooling fan:

* Lose the parasitic drag (although there is a higher load on your
charging system)
* Quieter, only comes on when you need it (may not come on at all in
cold weather)
* Quicker warm ups
* Chrysler fans are 2 speed, 1 fan or both can be turned on depending on
how you wire them
* Can turn fans on when the engine is off
* Less danger of fan blade carnage

Cons:
* Wiring / electrical system problems = no fans
* Non OE fan shroud - Chrysler fans are close

I have the Chrysler fans as well, they are wired to come on when the
temperature switch grounds the relays or I manually ground them.
Thanks to Jared & Robert for that suggestion, I wouldn't have thought
of switching the ground side.  Mine are wired to have them both come
on, ideally I'd have a fan controller control both fans, 1 would ccome
on at first then the 2nd if necessary... Supposedly Megasquirt can
control this but I haven't gotten that far.

I have a 31" x 19" radiator, so the stock shroud wouldn't have worked for me.