[elky] Re: Battery holding charge while sitting unused

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:51:46 -0800

excellent. poor blazer never gets driven far enough to give it a good charge, so I have to be sure to take it to the post office at least once a week. then it stays charged. It's a Les Schwab.

A while back, about six weeks to be exact, there was a thread about batteries discharging while the vehicle was not in use. Some of the posters said they couldn't even go a week without the battery being dischared others went longer. I volunteered to give the process a real test.

We were gone for a couple of days less than six weeks - Jan. 26 to March 7 to be exact. The Elky was parked in the garage while we were gone; it wasn't started or left on a trickle charger. The garage is attached to the house; only the door and ceiling are uninsulated. The outside temps were only as low as 30 while we were gone; unlikely the temp in the garage got less than 40 under those circumstance. The house temp was set to hold 50 while we were gone.

The bottom line, ta dah, drum roll, etc., after a couple of jabs at the gas pedal it cranked for about 5 or 6 seconds and fired right up. I was both surprised and pleased.

I don't try to explain it or why others discharge while sitting. The only thing on when it is sitting is the digital clock in the radio.

The battery is a Sears DieHard about 8 1/2 years old with the Elk doing about 25,00 miles during that time. We haven't been getting too many miles on it the last few years for a variety of reasons.

FWIW, that's the story.

Dan

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now. <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/>