[elky] Re: A/C line

  • From: "CTSVMONGO" <ctsvmongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:24:15 -0500

Ahhh, but if youre doing it yourself(tiling), youre still doing it for cheap
(as long as you know what you are doing and already have a saw)  Grout and
all that other stuff does add up, but usually you can tile a room on your
own for less than you can pay someone to put down vinyl.    I know not all
may agree, but in a couple of the houses I have done, inexpensive floor
tile(it will take some time to find a good looking one- the ones you can see
the pattern printed on are just aweful) used to cover shower walls, turned
at a 45 looks pretty darn good. It can add up, but isn't it worth it in the
end???

In my current house(downsized because of my new life. ) we found some swift
lock laminate flooring that was on sale for $1.99 a foot(I think it was
$1.99 for some unit of measure) anyway pretty cheap, at lowes.  I used my
10% off coupon.  This stuff looks and feels like real hickory flooring. It
came with the foam pad already glued to the back of each piece, and I
installed it myself in a weekend- in the kitchen, entry and dinette- about
475sqft.  I have a 95lb Black lap and a 6 year old boy.  Though we have only
been there with it installed 3-4 months, it still looks like it did when I
installed it.  That stuff is very durable  if you get a good one- and I am
very picky and had other opinions about that laminate(hated seeing it in
houses I sell and show) but this stuff, it really looks real- and people
that come into my house think it's the same real hickory flooring I had
installed in the last $320,000 house I built(around here that's a very
nicely equipped house-granite, maple cabinets thru out, stainless etc)

I thought I read something about pergo in there. so I went off on a rant.
It used to be pretty ugly but some of the new stuff.. Looks amazingly real,
and with a big absolutely crazy dog, I needed durable but hate tile in main
living areas. Its cold, wears out your socks (for real the grout is aweful
on them), and your feet and back hurt after only short periods working on
it.  It looks amazing but it wasn't for me in the kitchen(probably could
have done it for about the same price as the laminate though?)