[elky] Re: A/C line

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:51:05 -0500

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> The tile floor we know all about.  Yes, the tile was 99 cents each.  All 31
> boxes with 15 in each.  then there was the 4 $42 buckets of mastic.   Then
> all those little buckets of grout (we're old, we like pre-mixed stuff).

             Eww stinky mastic. I'm not a fan of it other than a few small
jobs or repairs. Premix is allot easier though.

>  There was a gallon of sealant.  the whole mess went over 24 sheets of
> hardiboard @ about $11 each.  Then there were all the little tools and saw
> blades.  Taking up the particle board and old vinyl floor was an unexpected
> expense.  Who knew we'd need to buy a roofing shovel?  There are 1500 nails
> holding the hardie board down.  (like its going to go anywhere).  We just
>  blew $175 on oak baseboard, shoe and stain. (we had an open gallon of floor
> finish and used that to finish it).   There was a mis-mixed gallon of touch
> up paint, spackle and patches where the $%^&%*& plastic baseboard was glued
> to the wallboard.  We decided halfway through not to put the vanity back in
> the bathroom so that was an unforeseen granite and faucet expense.

                Yup it adds up really quick. The laundry room floor alone
will cost around $500-800 or so depending on what deals I can find on
craigslist or on tile row (highway 121, lots of tile places and other
suppliers) Going to find a ceramic she can live with instead of the
travertine cause ceramic is allot more durable and it's in a very high
traffic and rough use area.

> and its still not done because we gave up over the weekend when the
> baseboard is being cranky about fitting along our non-straight walls.

     Yeah I know I was checking how a piece of crown molding would look in
the living room... It's going to be interesting to try to put it up in
there. I have a couple left over pieces of cherry I was using and Geri liked
it... I get 8' lengths of cherry crown for $80 a pack of 5 IIRC. I won't use
it in the house cause I prefer 16' pieces and no joints.

> but the tile looks great!   And they were only 99 cents each!
>
> Mary

                The travertine we just did was $2 a sq ft. The lighter the
color the higher the price.

                        Robert Adams