[eispice] Re: Gnucap vs. Ngspice vs. Eispice

  • From: Charles Eidsness <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eispice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 19:46:10 -0500

Hi Newell,

I think it depends on what you want to simulate but if ngspice can do the job I
recommend using it. Spice is kind of like the assembly language of simulators
and even though gnucap has spice support it's not identical (at least it wasn't
the last time I looked at it). I tried to make eispice spice-like but it's
still
quite different due to the Python front-end. Most commercial simulation tools
(like HyperLynx, SigXplorer, ICX, Eldo, HSPICE, PSPICE, etc...) support models
based on spice syntax. If you learn spice well you'll have a tool that may be
valuable for the rest of your career. Once you have an understanding of the
spice3f5 basics
(http://www.thedigitalmachine.net/reference/Spice_3f3_Users_Manual.pdf) then
you
may get more out of the fancier open source tools, like spice addon xspice or
different simulators like gnucap, eispice, or Qucs. Each do specific things
better than the others.

The main reason I started writing eispice is because I wanted a spice simulator
with IBIS model and W-Element support and felt that starting from scratch would
be easier than trying to shoe-horn them into one of the existing open source
simulators. As time progressed I've added more features than I had originally
intended but eispice doesn't do everything that ngspice and gnucap can. For
instance it doesn't have many semi-conductor models, and it only supports
operating-point and transient simulations, plus a bunch of other stuff is
missing.

Hope that's helpful,
Cheers,
Charles