[eekosmembers] Decision making - Elders, majority decision, concensus or a combination

  • From: "Kevin Ison" <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Members email list" <eekosmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:31:45 -0000

( Oscar - I think that this is important you all to discuss in Gambia and I
suggest that you print the three web pages on the link below and discuss this
at a future meeting.)

Now that the  guys in Gambia are getting the tools to start drilling bores, I
thought it might be a time to bring up the decisions making as they will need
some advice and guidance as they do more work and start to get income.

It is also important for the future policy of eekos in general.

Don pointed out to me in one of his letters that this is important to discuss
and it certainly is.

Here is basics -  Many decisions need to be made in business. They need to be
made for the good of the company and the people in it.

There are three ways mainly to do this, elders, consensus or voting (majority).

1/ - Elders decision making is decision making by a group of elders who
represent the wisdom and knowledge and person of the community.

2/ - Majority is simple vote on a matter that needs deciding and the majority
decision wins.

3/ - Consensus is the continual discussion and change until a decision have
been made that all are happy with.

Here is some background information;

1/ - Decisions by a leader or group of leaders (or elders)
http://www.ic.org/pnp/cdir/2000/22decision.php

2/ - Majority decision making;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority_rule

3/ - Consensus decision making;
http://www.spunk.org/texts/consensu/sp000761.html

I believe that eekos and our agencies will not go firmly with one, but will use
a combination of these when needed and what is appropriate to the community
surrounding the agency.

Don may be able to assist here. This is an important issue and will be
discussed many times in the future I believe.

For the record, I go for consensus decision making with elders mentoring us.

Kev
Here is some more detailed information - Oscar you do not need to print this
out unless you think the others will want it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making

      Kevin Ison
      eekos Limited
      The Old Hackfall