[eekosmembers] Re: Decision making - Elders, majority decision, concensus or a combination

  • From: "Don" <dyates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <eekosmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:22:08 -0700

Well, here I am again. I applaud you, Kevin, for bringing up this subject.
Now for what you expect from me.

1. Let's look at some definitions because the various articles you
referenced in this letter and the other one seem to use the words
differently and I think sometimes incorrectly:

Vote : a usually formal expression of opinion or will in response to a
proposed decision; especially : one given as an indication of approval or
disapproval of a proposal, motion, or candidate for office

Consensus: An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole: "Among
political women . . . there is a clear consensus about the problems women
candidates have traditionally faced"

Democracy: Government by the people, exercised either directly or through
elected representatives. 2. A political or social unit that has such a
government. 3. The common people

Pure Democracy: A democracy in which the power to govern lies directly in
the hands of the people rather than being exercised through their
representatives....

2. Of the three articles you reference below I would look only at the third
one. Take it with the one you reference in your other letter and you cover
consensus pretty well, although I hold for this one some of the reservations
I had for the other.  The other two articles have a number of problems that
I won't go into unless someone wants me to do so.

3. As I said in the other letter there are several ways to make decisions -
1) Autonomous - an individual makes a decision alone without the need to
consult anyone;
2) Consult - an individual makes a decision alone but must consult
designated others first; 3) Group - a group must make the decision - one
thing you have to determine is the appropriate membership for the group. All
the conversation about consensus, voting, etc. has only to do with this
category of decision.

I have material on how to choose among these three methods as well as how
others may or may not participate in both the decision and the activity
involved.

Given this point, I would go slowly on using the three methods and
definitions in your letter. The topic is more complex than they indicate,
but it is not difficult to understand.

Hey, you get off easy this time - I am not going on for two or three pages.

Any questions about what I have said or how to dig further into this whole
topic are welcome [remember there is no such thing as a dumb question].

Be well,
Don

  _____