[edi581] stoll

  • From: Heather Anne Palmatier <hebba7979@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:40:25 -0800 (PST)

Heather Palmatier

Stoll Article

Clifford Stoll believes computers overcrowd classrooms, overexpose children to
media, distract the student from a relationship with his or her teacher and
develop a poor attitude concerning scholastics. He is very adamant that
computers do not belong in the classroom whatsoever. According to Stoll, he has
never found a student "?ill at ease behind a computer screen." Thus, they have
no technological dream fulfilled by having computers in classrooms. He is
concerned that with increased computer use vital skills, such as analytical
reading, literacy, handwriting, and essay composing get pushed aside. To Stoll,
computer work is seatwork that lessens student-teacher contact. He contests
that children should be learning information rather than it being given to
them. Clifford Stoll?s ideas are capitalized in his book High Tech Heretic.

Opinion:

A year ago I was student teaching in a third grade classroom. One of their
assignments was to type a final version of a story they had written on the
computer. Everyday I heard a resounding "YES!" from the students who were
called to use the computer. They loved being on the computer?and there was no
Internet involved. It was just typing! I?ve never seen students so keen on
typing on the computer. I wonder what Stoll would say about their behavior?
"Media Gone Wild."

Stoll does make some interesting points, albeit rudely. Computers, like any
learning tool, should not be abused. Students sitting in front of a computer
screen all day is not good. Too much of even a good thing can be bad. We as
teachers need to use a multitude of activities and learning tools throughout
the day. Maybe the students Stoll has observed weren?t ill at ease in front of
a computer because they had previously been exposed to it at school. Stoll also
forget to mention all the innovative educational software available that gets
students excited about learning. What about students who are learning or
emotionally disabled? Computers can be key communicators for special needs
students.

I agree that not all school money should be spent on computers, field trips and
other learning experiences are important. Using a computer is an experience in
itself, especially when some one is just learning. Stoll wants to rid
classrooms of computers. I say we should find a happy medium?don?t skimp on
other important funding just for the sake of computers. But also don?t deplete
your technology budget for field trips. Stoll, however, seems to have made up
his mind and won?t budge.

   Jerry.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx