[edi581] Biography of "Myke" Ricci

  • From: MykeRicci@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:46:21 EDT

  Decades ago I was born in the city of Rochester, NY into a family of
Christian values and life style.  My siblings and I enjoyed loving parents
who hoped that we would succeed in life and prosper beyond their successes.
We hope that we did not disappoint them beyond the parental forgiveness level.
       Our marriage of nearly forty years ended when I became a widow in
1989.  My Husband and I were able to be close to our daughter and son's
family units.  They are the parents of our three adult grandchildren. I am
now privileged to be the "official" baby sitter of 2 great-grands.
Admittedly, they are the joy of my life at present.
       Most of my formal education has been at SUNY Brockport, and I have had
many learning opportunities through work experience and travel.
       Currently I am employed by New York State Department of Corrections as
a classroom academic teacher and my students are convicted felons
incarcerated for long or short periods of time.  The students range in age
from under 21 to 60 plus. The system entails a revolving door in that of 50
assigned students the classroom constellation will change weekly by students
reprogramming for a variety of causes.  On average the rotation amounts to 8
students per month or approximately 16%. The entire prison population of over
1200 inmates will turn over one-third in a year through this process commonly
referred to as "drafting."  This is a dead-end job with no career ladder, but
a comfortable way to make a living if one must do so.
       Most of my life has been spent in the business world and I plan to
return to being a businesswoman during my retirement.  I have done a lot of
interesting things with my life and have plans to continue to make the most
of whatever discoveries and opportunities I can find.
       I have flown a plane, driven a semi tractor-trailer, and dump trucks.
I can pilot a vessel on Lake Ontario, use a rocking chair, ride a horse, tend
bar -- you name it; if I wanted to do it - I did. The most exciting endeavor
is always what I am doing at the moment.  While remaining acutely aware of
the fact that these are truly only moments, I like to anticipate a "forever"
for so many things.
  My many interests and activities include family, cooking, reading,
handwork, golf, boating, cross country skiing, civic matters, travel, animal
husbandry, gardening, education, friends, fine dining, horse racing, Las
Vegas, NYS Quick Draw, and now computer and the Internet.  My friends are
quick to chuckle, "What next?", and my response is generally, "Devil take the
hindmost."  I am not offended to hear myself described as a cross between
Scarlet O'Hara and Auntie Mame.