[ebooktalk] Re: Richard iii.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:00:03 +1000

I can't remember if Rosemary Hawley Jarman's, "We Speak No Treason" refers
to Richard as a hunchback or "Crookback". Told from three different
perspectives, it certainly paints a kinder picture of him than of Elizabeth
Woodville or Jacquetta, her mother.

"The Broken Sword" by Rhoda Edwards is also kinder to him though Simon
Schama's "History of Britain" tends towards the view of wicked Uncle Richard
murdering the princes in the tower. He also describes Elizabeth Woodville's
exit from court after Henry vii becoming king, despite being the Queen
Mother, as it were. Henry's mother, Margaret Beaufort, apparently proved the
stronger force and didn't care for competition.

As has been pointed out on the list already, Thomas More wrote the history
for and of the Tudors and who wouldn't be keen to appease Henry vii? (Even
though he failed in the end, poor man.)

I shall now go and add the Philippa Gregory books to my list. Thank you.

Elaine