[ebooktalk] Re: One of those nagging questions.

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 17:54:50 +0100

Hi Elaine

When I saw the play as part of a Noel Coward season it was called Brief
Encounter although I am also certain that it was actually Still Life.
Perhaps they simply changed the name to encourage attendance.

Most playwrights who were active in the period between the wars seem to have
been more active than they are today. The theatre, particularly in its West
End form was much more fluid. In those days a play was a success if it ran
for more than a few weeks. Today it seems to be necessary to run for years
in order to get back the initial investment.

Steve