[duxuser] Re: installing embossers

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:11:05 -0000

Hi Jean,

I would strongly recommend that your IT people contact the
embosser manufacturers themselves.  They will be best placed
to advise you here, and also advise if there are any
specific windows drivers which can be installed, or, if
necessary, give advice on installing perhaps a Generic/Text
Only printer.

The IT people will also know what connections are available.
For example, it may be necessary to use something like an HP
Jet Direct Print Server between the Network Port and the
embosser, since the embossers themselves probably do not
have network ports.

Alternatively, it may be possible to "share" an embosser
which is connected directly to a PC, although that PC would
obviously need to remain powered on when anyone wanted to
use the embosser.  This can usually be done by installing a
Generic/Text Only printer locally, and sharing it.

Networking embossers can sometimes be tricky, but your IT
staff should know the basics which helps a lot.

George.