[duxuser] Re: importing word documents in to duxbury

  • From: "George Bell" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:51:50 -0000

Hi Teri,

I've actually seen quite a few similar problems lately, indeed one affecting
files from a major talking newspaper producer over here.  This just may, or
indeed may not, be your problem.

For various inexplicable reasons, people will change the file extension.  For
example, they may change filename.txt to filename.doc.

Word for Windows (and even Wordpad) will read the .doc file, and as often as
not, will not even warn the user that they are not opening a native Word file.

But, Word is not too clever.  It will allow changes to be made, then save it
again in the same format (text), yet it all too often leaves extraneous hidden
material in the file.

When DBT encounters such a .doc file, it does not assume it is a Word file,
since it will not be able to find any official Word Header information in the
file.  However, depending on what DBT import option is chosen, and also
depending on what extraneous information in buried in the file, DBT may cough
and splutter, and come up with an error.

George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd