[duxuser] Re: formatting a book

  • From: "Steve Dresser" <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:07:17 -0500

Diane,

The two codes that control the type of page numbering are [pntr] (Roman) and [pnta] (Arabic). By default in most templates, Duxbury uses Arabic page numbers, so the first thing you want to do is change to Roman. To suppress page numbering on your title page, insert the code [svpnp0] at the top of the page, immediately following [pntr]. When you want to turn page numbering back on, use the code [svpnp2:2], which causes page numbers to appear on the top right corner of both odd and even pages. To begin Arabic numbering on page 1, use the sequence [pg][pv1][pnta]. The [pg] causes a page break; [pv1] sets the value of the page number back to 1; and the [pnta] causes use of Arabic numbering. You can also set these things up by using Page Numbering in the Document Menu, but you asked about logic, so I gave you the codes.

To me, the most useful topic in DBT Help is the complete list of codes. All the codes are listed alphabetically with brief explanations of each code's syntax and functions. The same page also groups codes into topics, which may be more helpful to you until you get a better idea of what the codes do. I've been using Duxbury since 1991, and am pretty familiar with most of the codes, so feel free to ask if you get stuck. It's pretty daunting at first, but you'll find that Duxbury is very powerful once you learn its logic.

Steve