[duxuser] Re: forcing a contraction

  • From: "John H. Luttenberger, III" <jlutt3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 19:41:03 -0500

Hello, Jean,

I had this problem recently.

Type "/_" (slash, underline) before the contraction's text, and type "_/" (underline, slash) after the contraction's text.

For example: My DBT 10.7 SR1 wasn't contracting the final three letters of "provelone". So, I edited the word to "provel/_one_/", and it produced dot-5, O at the end of the word.

By the way, "/_ _/" is in the F5 code list.

Hope this works in your more current DBT version.

John Luttenberger

At 05:34 PM 12/8/2014, you wrote:
Working with the BANA Word template, version 1.11 SR 4 and UEB. What is the code to use to force a contraction? I have a vague recollection it has to do with slashes, but I can’t find it.

The reason for wanting this is I have an italicized group of two words followed by an unspaced dash and more text. DBT is putting the italic passage indicator in front of the first word, and the end italic passage after the second word. That’s not right. Complicating this is that these words are bacteria names, and DBT recognizes them as Latin and wants to uncontract them. The agency wants them contracted. Therefore, I need to enter the italic codes as Exact Translation
. But DBT is still uncontracting the words.

If I could remember that shortcut for forcing contractions, it would save me looking up those SymBraille exact contraction characters for the rest of the word.

Jean

* as the subject to duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx . You may also
* options by visiting www.freelists.org .  The list archive
* is also located there.