[duxuser] Re: embosser opinions[Scanned]

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:52:47 -0000

Hi Brian,

This is perhaps a shade off list topic, but here goes.

The Everest was developed from the ground up as a sheet fed
embosser.

That is to say it was designed to take single sheets of
braille paper.

So no removing sprocket holes, and tearing up continuous
sheets into single ones. However we have a sort of inverse
situation here.

Most sheet feeders are designed to handle the kind of paper
used for letter headings or just simple copy paper.

But as you know, braille paper is a much heavier weight.
That's the first problem.

The second problem is that most paper suppliers cut paper in
such a way that when it is cut, it leaves a "burr".  So if
you grip the paper between two fingers, and pull them over
the edge of the paper, you can actually tell what way the
cutter came down.

The solution is to cut the paper to reduce the "burr" which
can be done in various ways.

Here in the U.K. we often cut the paper in-house out of
continuous stock one sheet at a time.  (Sounds time
consuming, but we can do thousands of sheets an hour using a
Bowe guillotine)

Consequently the paper we supply in the U.K. (and we are
note alone here) usually feeds quite well.

Of course additionally one does have to keep the feed
rollers clean and free of dust as per the manufacturer's
suggestions.

In short, it's a good embosser, used as designed.