[duxuser] Re: Remove leading commas?

  • From: "Foxworth, Ann" <Ann.Foxworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:20:57 -0500

Darren, it would be extremely helpful for you to learn braille or to
acquire a good braille manual so you could look things up.  When you
receive a sign job, you need to translate it just as it is.  Not using
the capital in upper case words or acronyms is not a true translation of
the text you were given.  I can't tell you how many signs I've seen done
by people who do not know anything about braille that were either not
legible at all, or had glaring mistakes in them.  Though it is possible
to translate a print document to braille with the click of the mouse,
and often it will turn out ok, it is not absolutely foolproof and you
owe it to your customers to put our the best braille signage possible.
I worked for two years  with a local sign shop who was creating some
plaques for us.  We had to go back time after time and proofread what
they'd done, then ask them to redo it because the spacing wasn't right
or a dot was left off, or the translation was incorrectly done.  In
braille, spacing one dot a little off, or leaving out a dot can change
the entire meaning of the word.