[duxuser] Re: Print fonts in DBTW

  • From: Steve Dresser <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:11:00 -0500

George,

When I first started using DBTWin), I worked mostly in the DBT editor. Now that the importers have improved, I do most of my preparation in Word, and I've found that if I do things correctly in Word, I have a lot less work to do in DBT. At first, it was a big adjustment, but once I got into that mode it made life a lot easier. I know that sometimes you have to work in DBT, and I have no qualms about doing so when necessary, but I've gained a lot of respect for MSWord and the power it has. I've also realized how few people really know how to use a word processor.

Steve

On Tuesday 3/28/06 17:33 George Bell wrote:

Glad to have helped, Steve.

In spite of all its quirks and foibles, a well Styled Word
document can save a great deal of work in DBT itself.

And not only that, if you have to prepare print documents,
all these tips and tricks come into their own.

I think our most dramatic trainee reaction was a lady who
burst into tears after being shown how Heading Styles could
be used to produce a Table of Contents automatically.  This
was a prelude to doing the same in DBT, since the principals
are the same.

It turned out that in order to come on the DBT course, she
had to complete a huge Word document which had a 30 page
TOC.

Having completed the main text, she MANUALLY typed up the
TOC, leaving space for page numbers.

She then took the printed document home, and she and her
husband sat up until all hours manually writing in the page
numbers for the TOC.

With less that a couple of hours sleep, she was back in the
office adding the page numbers - all 30 pages of them.

Has she used Heading Styles, not only would she have saved
time by being able to apply a Style, rather than manually
change font, etc., she would have created the entire TOC in
less than a minute.

Moreover, had there been any last minute changes to the body
of the document which affected the page numbering in the
TOC, it would have automatically recalculated.

And of course, NOT having used these Styles in Word, meant
they didn't exist when the document was imported into DBT.