[duxhelp] Re: repeatedly being asked about installing JAWS scripts

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:47:31 -0500

Joanie,

Were we not now working very actively on DBT, and were I not seeing the
problem myself, I'd be inclined to offer a visit to your home or office to
have a look at this myself.  This issue strikes me as a tricky one to
diagnose.

But, under the circumstances, I think I've a better idea.  What I'd like to
do is to set up a "secret feature" of DBT.  (I simply mean a feature that
probably won't be documented in the general user documentation.)  The
feature will presumably remain in the product so that we can use it to
diagnose problems that may come up after release.

Here's the proposal:

1. If, in the JAWS subdirectory of the DBT installation directory, there
exists a file called "install.log" and it is writeable, we will log details
of the JAWS script installation process to it.

2. We will append to the log rather than ovewriting it.

3. Entries in the log will be timestamped.

4. We will endeavor to put in enough data to allow us to get a look at
what's going wrong with the script installation process on your system.  It
may take a few rounds to get this right, but we can work with you on that
front.

Does that sound like a good way to get started?

Incidentally, you may find that things work differently -- and this problem
may disappear -- in beta 4.  We've altered the JAWS script installation
procss to avoid installing our scripts in JAWS folders for languages to
which they have not been localized.  For now, this means that we'll only
install them in JAWS script folders with names starting with "EN".  So you
may find that this problem disappears anyhow.