[duxhelp] Re: Redefing the braille keyboard

  • From: Jean-François Colas <jfcolas@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:50:57 +0200

Hello Peter & all,

That's right, there was indeed a little mistake, I meant cxwmù*, and not wxcmù*. Well, I realize that I have often been heard about an sdfjkl emulation, regardless of the meaning of the letters, which may explain my confusion. :)

However, should the "*" be the only one added, as for some other keyboards, a "right" combination could be a quite different one... So what about the punctuations we find on the lowest line of an AZERTY keyboard:
<wxcvbn,;:!
in order to allow, for exemple:
,nb;:!

Best regards, J.-F.

At 03:46 17/05/2006, you wrote:
Jean-François,

I think that we'll be able to fix this.

However, given the information I have about French keyboard layouts, it
appears that you are choosing a very strange set of keys indeed.  Perhaps
instead of:

wxcmù*

You mean:

cxwmù*

Recall that the first of these characters represents dot 1, not dot 3.

Moreover, it doesn't appear to me that the key for * will generally be next
to the key for ù.  The key for * appears to me to be out of reach, so we
don't currently allow its use for braille entry.

Should we allow *?  It is easy to make this change.